This week, on June 10-11, 2014 I have delivered a seminar about Visual Studio 2013 Application Lifecycle Management. The seminar was organized as a post event for IT Camp 2014 sponsors.
Thank you very much for IT Camp organizers for providing me with the opportunity to deliver this seminar. Big Thank You for the attendees, who provided very valuable feedback.
Attend this 2-day seminar to find out how you can manage your application development lifecycle with Microsoft Visual Studio 2013. We will discuss the installation, configuration and administration of Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2013, and how you can define ALM processes and iterations to enable the delivery of continuous value in software development.
The seminar is covering the updated exam objectives for the MCSD: Application Lifecycle Management certification.
To be able to obtain full value form this seminar it is recommended that you have basic experience with developing software with Visual Studio, application lifecycle and software development methodologies.
By attending this seminar you will obtain the knowledge necessary to install and configure Team Foundation Server 2013 in a lab or pilot environment, and to apply application lifecycle management principles to your software development processes.
This seminar is designed for the following audiences:
- IT Administrators who want to install and configure Team Foundation Server 2013
- Project Managers and Team Leads who want to apply application lifecycle management principles to their software development processes.
- Members of the development teams who want to obtain the MCSD: Application Lifecycle Management certification
If you are interested in organizing this seminar on your premises, for your development teams, please send e-mail to astoian <at> techready <dot> ro. The seminar consists in presentations and demos performed by the trainer.
Day 1: Administering Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2013
Module 1: Installing and configuring Team Foundation Server
- Installing Team Foundation Server
- Configuring the application tier
- Migrating and upgrading Team Foundation Server
- Installing and configuring Lab Management
- Installing and configuring multiple build agents and controllers
Module 2: Managing Team Foundation Server
- Managing team project collections
- Configuring for backup and recovery
- Monitoring server health and performance
- Operating lab management
- Managing security
- Managing reporting for Team Foundation Server
Module 3: Customizing Team Foundation Server
- Configuring a team build definition
- Managing build execution
- Modifying a process template
- Configuring a team project
- Applying Work Item customizations
- Creating Work Item queries
- Configuring client connectivity to Team Foundation Server
Module 4: Administering version control
- Creating and managing workspaces
- Configuring version control proxy
- Configuring team project version control settings
Day 2: Delivering Continuous Value with Visual Studio 2013 Application Lifecycle Management
Module 1: Defining an effective end-to-end Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC)
- Understanding the value of an end-to-end view of Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) tools and practices
- Explaining the benefits of fast feedback
- Implementing strategies to reduce end-to-end cycle time
- Implementing strategies to improve software quality
- Implementing strategies to reduce waste
- Creating a process improvement plan
Module 2: Defining the ALM process
- Role of different ALM processes
- Implementing a Scrum/Agile process
- Defining a Scrum/Agile process for a team
- Implementing Microsoft Solution Framework (MSF) for CMMI process improvement
Module 3: Defining a software iteration
- Planning a release
- Defining a project-tracking process
- Scoping a project
Module 4: Defining end value for the software iteration
- Eliciting requirements
- Estimating requirements
- Documenting requirements
- Prioritizing requirements
Module 5: Developing customer value with high quality
- Defining code quality indicators
- Incorporating unit testing
- Developing code
- Validating quality
- Customizing a team project
Module 6: Integrating development and operations
- Implementing an automated deployment process
- Implementing pre-production environments
- Managing feedback between development and operations
- Troubleshooting production issues
This seminar can help in preparing for the following two exams from the MCSD: Application Lifecycle Management certification track:
- Exam 70-496: Administering Visual Studio Team Foundation Server
- Exam 70-498: Delivering Continuous Value with Visual Studio Application Lifecycle Management
These exams have been updated in June 2014 to cover the features in Visual Studio 2013. Please visit the exam pages for the updated exam objectives.