This procedure describes the steps to configure the automatic installation of Configuration Manager 2007 clients using the Client Push installation method.
The result of this configuration will be the installation of Configuration Manager 2007 client on all workstations discovered previously. We recommend testing the configuration first using the manual installation.
- Active Directory and DNS server are installed and configured for the domain TECHREADY.RO.
- Configuration Manager 2007 was installed in a Primary Site (Site Code = TRD).
- Site Boundaries were correctly configured to include only the systems you want to manage.
- The Discovery Methods were configured and discovered correctly the systems from the current site.
- The Site Systems were configured: Distribution Point, Management Point, Reporting Point, Software Update Point and Fallback Status Point.
Installation and Configuration
First we will configure an user account that has administrative permissions on all workstations in the domain.
- Logon on the Domain Controller server using the domain Administrator account.
- Launch Active Directory Users and Computers, right-click on the container where you want to create the account and select New, User.
- In the New Object – User window enter the First Name and User logon name then click Next.
- In the New Object – User window enter a password, deselect User must change password at next logon and select User cannot change password and Password never expires then click Next.
- In the New Object – User window click Finish.
- In the Active Directory Users and Computers console access the properties for the new account.
- In the Properties window select the Member of tab then click Add.
- In the Select Groups window type Domain Admins, click Check Names then click OK.
- In the Properties window click OK.
Next we will configure the Configuration Manager 2007 server to automatically install the clients using the Client Push method.
- Logon on the Configuration Manager 2007 server using the domain Administrator account.
- Launch Configuration Manager Console. Expand Site Database, Site Management, current site, Site Settings, Client Installation Methods and double-click on Client Push Installation.
- In the Client Push Installation Properties window verify that the option Enable Client Push Installation to assigned resources IS NOT SELECTED.
- Select the Accounts tab then click on the New button (star).
- In the Windows User Account window enter the name (DOMAIN\User) and the password of the administrative account created before. This account must be a member of the Domain Admins group to have installation permissions on the workstations. Click OK.
- In the Client Push Installation Properties select the Client tab.
- In the Client tab you can configure the installation parameters for the Configuration Manager 2007 client. Click OK.
- At the General tab verify that the option Enable Client Push Installation to assigned resources is NOT selected.
- In the Client Push Installation window click OK.
NOTE: Checking this option will install the client on all assigned computers. In this environment we recommend NOT to check this option and initiate the installation of clients manually as described below.
Next we will test the configuration by installing the client on the Configuration Manager 2007 server itself using the Client Push installation method.
- To force the installation on an individual system, navigate to the collection to which the system belongs, select the computer, right-click and select Install Client.
- In the Welcome to Client Push Installation Wizard window click Next.
- In the Installation options window review the settings and click Next.
- In the Completing the Client Push Installation Wizard window click Finish.
- The installation of the client will begin unattended. To verify that the installation was initiated, access Task Manager on the server and verify if there is a process ccmsetup.exe.
- If the installation was successful, in Control Panel will appear a new applet called Configuration Manager where you can check the client settings.
- In the Configuration Manager Properties window at the General tab, view the information about the client.
- At the Components tab you can view the installed agents.
- At the Actions tab you can view the actions that are executed on the client. Select Machine Policy Retrieval & Evaluation Cycle then click Initiate Action to force the client to connect to the Management Point.
- In the Machine Policy Retrieval & Evaluation Cycle window click OK.
- At the Advanced tab click Discover.
- If the server was configured correctly and has published the information about the site in Active Directory, you will receive a message saying the discovery was successful. Click OK.
- In the Configuration Manager Properties window click OK.
- To troubleshoot the installation go to the folder C:\WINDOWS\System32\ccmsetup (or C:\WINDOWS\ccmsetup on 64 bit systems) and open the file ccmsetup.log
Next we will check if the client reported the installation to the Configuration Manager 2007 server.
- In the Configuration Manager Console expand Site Database, Computer Management, Collections. Right-click on the All Systems collection and select Update Collection Membership.
- In the warning window click OK.
- If the installation was successful, you will see Client:Yes and Approved for the newly installed client.
With these settings we have finished the initial configuration of System Center Configuration Manager 2007 and we can begin testing the features.